Tuesday, April 3, 2007

What is web 2.0

In my quest to find out what web 2.0 exactly is, I stumbled upon Tim O'Reilly. He is founder of O'reilly media, a computer book publisher in the world, and next to that he is also called the Web 2.0 evangelist.

On his website i found another "What is web 2.0" article.
I liked this list a lot, and I think it might help some people to make this web 2.0 a little more clear.

Web 1.0 Web 2.0
DoubleClick --> Google AdSense
Ofoto --> Flickr
Akamai --> BitTorrent
mp3.com --> Napster
Britannica Online --> Wikipedia
personal websites --> blogging
evite --> upcoming.org and EVDB
domain name speculation --> search engine optimization
page views --> cost per click
screen scraping --> web services
publishing --> participation
content management systems --> wikis
directories (taxonomy) --> tagging ("folksonomy")
stickiness --> syndication


Another thing I found was this image, which might also make it easier to understand web 2.0:



Anyway, I don't want to focus this blog on all sorts of theories, whether Web 2.0 is just a marketing phrase, or a hype. I think that the word-cloud and the list make it a little easier to understand it. So this is what web 2.0 is in my eyes: It's a new use of techniques to help to create a new experience for the user (think AJAX & Flash), next to that, there is the social aspect, (think things like User generated content, Blogging, Podcasting, etc.).

I'm not that good at defenitions, but I hope you now have an idea about what web 2.0 is.
If you really want to get into depth, I suggest reading the What is web 2.0 article by Tim O'reilly.

Greets,

Joël